Current and Former Masters & Huntsmen of Old Dominion Hounds
Prior to formation of Old Dominion Hounds:
1919-1921 Joe B. Thomas and Major Louis Beard, Commanding Officer at Front Royal Remount Depot hunted the country of Orlean and Flint Hill.
|1924-1931 Sterling Larrabee||Ned Chadwell 1924-1930|
|Taylor Pearson 1931|
|1932-1936 Sterling Larrabee, William E. Doeller||Will Putnam 1932-1940|
|1936-1940 Sterling Larrabee|
|1940-1945 Mrs. George W. Cutting (Mrs. John [Helen] Hinckley of Kilkenny)|
|1945-1947 William E. Doeller|
|1947-1952 Albert P. Hinckley||Melvin Poe 1947-1962|
|1953-1958 Albert P. Hinckley, William P. Rochester|
|1959-1960 Albert P. Hinckley|
|1960-1963 Albert P. Hinckley, William E. Schlusemeyer||Ray Pearson 1962|
|1963-1966 Albert P. Hinckley||Ray Pearson|
|1966-1968 Albert P. Hinckley, and William Brainard||Master & Ray Pearson|
|1968-1976 William W. Brainard||Master & Ray Pearson|
|1976-1978 Richard B. Spindle III, Mrs. Joan Hopewell||Ray Pearson|
|1978-1979 Richard B. Spindle III, Mrs. Joan Hopwell||James L. Atkins 1978-1987|
|1979-1980 Richard B. Spindle III, David L. Ferguson||James Atkins|
|1980-1982 David L. Ferguson||James Atkins|
|1982-1984 David L. Ferguson, Mrs. Robert (Mildred) Riddell|
|1984-1992 Mrs Mildred Riddell, David H. Semmes||Charles Brown 1987-1994|
|1992-1994 David H. Semmes, William R. Osier||Charles Brown|
|1994-1995 David H. Semmes, William R. Osier||Gerald Keal 1994-|
|1995- Gus Forbush, Douglas Hytla||Gerald Keal|
|2011- Scott Dove|
The History of the FoxHounds
ODH had all American Hounds from 1924 until 1965. Bill Brainard whipped in during 64-65. Brainard became Master in 1966 and brought in a few cross bred and English hounds.
By 1969-1970, there were 22 couple of American and 19 ½ couple of English.
Brainard stepped down in 1976-1977. Ray Pearson left 2 seasons later. All English and crossbred hounds were gone when Jimmy Atkins took over as huntsman in 1978 . During his first year as huntsman, Jimmy had 35 couple of American Hounds.
1992-1995 there were 5 couple of Crossbred.
Gerald Keal arrived in1994 and brought in 2 bitches that were Orange County and Andrew’s Bridge breeding. This brought a small nick of Penn-Marydel, to help improve the nose and voice of the pack.
In 2004, Gerald traveled to England to pick up 2 bitches from the Vale of the White Horse (VWH) Hunt in the Cotswold region. These bitches carried the female tail line of Old Dominion ‘Gorgeous’ who had been bred out of the ODH kennel. This is an ongoing breeding program and will take 4 generations to be pure America Foxhound.
William E. Doeller resigned as MFH Oct 1947 due to physical disability. He died at Christmas 1973.
* The Hunt name changed from “Mr. Larrabee’s Hounds” in 1924 to “Old Dominion Hounds” in 1931 as a means of increasing subscribership.